Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 7, day 4






May 7, day 4

Rest day, or perhaps I'm just trying to dodge the rain, forecast at
70% today. I spent a few hours updating the blog, and using the PC
here to upload some pictures.

In the evening I walked about 1.5 miles to downtown to watch Thor -
I've always been a big marvel comics fan. I walked because I was
afraid to lock up the bike for that long with only a cable lock.

Several people are interested in my bike and gear, so I'll see if I
can get some pics for you.

The bike is a Raleigh International circa 1974 with Blackburn racks
front and rear. Gearing 36-42-52 and 13-28 5 speed freewheel.

The bike has a front mounted generator driving a lumotec IQ cyo senso
plus led headlight, with two planet bike superflash taillights and two
handlebar end flashback taillights. With this setup you can ride all
night if necessary.

The panniers are fairly old tailwind panniers. In some coast down
tests, the bike is faster with the front panniers than without.

700x 28 gatorskin tires on velocity dyad 36 hole rims with Phil Wood
sealed bearing hubs. These rims are also recommended for tandem bikes.

There is a wedge for engaging the front brake, as well as a wood piece
that wedges behind the front rack to hold the front wheel straight.
These two items are very useful in parking situations. What I would
really like is a hebie center stand, but it will probably not fit in
the bottom bracket area.

Gear wise, I carry a MSR Hubba one person tent which is freestanding
and high enough to sit upright in. Sleeping bag is the Marmot Pinnicle
15 degree bag, which I'm very pleased with. Sleeping pad is the
ludricously plush exped synmat 9, 9 cm thick. I believe it weighs more
than the tent. It also gives much better insulation from cold than
the thinner thermarest pads.

Significant clothing items are the Montbell thermawrap pants and
jacket, each weighing about 8-9 ozs. I get cold easily after a days
ride, and those pants provide amazing warmth.

So, there's more than you ever wanted to know about my gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment