Thursday, May 12, 2011

May 12, Day 9 Astoria to Garibaldi












May 12, Day 9

Starting odo 6477

This time I prepare the night before, but rule #2 (tasks expand to
fill the time available) comes into play. Most notably stopping at the
chamber of commerce to update the blog with pictures, and a detour to
Warrington to get a charger for the phone. It's a very picky phone, it
wants what it wants - 5.1 volts, .7 amps, and not the wussy 5 volts .5
amps that my 4 port USB charger puts out. I verify this by using the
new chargers USB cable with my USB charger, and it says: this cable
not recommended for this phone. But when I plug the same cable into
their charger, it is happy as a clam.

I veer back to the adventure cycling route from hwy 101. The route is
a bit hilly, but very quiet and pretty. Eventually I descend to
Seaside, and the route takes me right by a bike shop. I decide to stop
and see if they have another mount for my helmet rear view mirror,
which I have placed in the wrong place. They don't, but suggest
getting some adheasive squares at the local hardware store. I do and
it's only a couple of bucks.

Pushing on, the next objective is to stop in Cannon Beach at Bill's
Tavern Brew House.  I get there at a reasonable time, about 2:30.  I
have the evil twin IPA and a burger with Tillamook cheddar. The IPA is
wonderful, and I elect to try the 2x4 stout as I write this. Thank
goodness for the iPods spell correction.  They have this to say about
the 2x4 stout: a high gravity imperial style dark ale prepared with a
generous amount of 2 row organic malt and, like our porter, a
proprietary blend of dark malts to produce our biggest, blackest ale;
Ahtanum, Chinook, and Summit hops are introduced to the brew for
flavor and aroma. 7.9% abv. My take on it is a wonderful full taste
with a nice tinge of sweetness!  Very drinkable, perhaps too much so
because I might drink it a bit too fast to process the alcohol.
Sigh, this might be a somewhat extended lunch break!

I have been thinking if this as the pacific coast tour, but it may be
becoming the beer tour!

The next beer stop is in Pacific City, the Pelican Pub and Brewery.
That will probably come up tomorrow.

Cannon Beach, BTW, is very pretty and the street I'm on is filled with
cute and interesting shops. I'll have to take a picture.

Weather-wise, aside from a pretty good shower as I came across the
bridge to Warrington, it has been partly cloudy to sunny. A very nice
day. But as the sign says, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Ok, so I have to give up on drinking the 2nd pint. 4 o'clock and time
to get moving again, although I suspect very slowly!

Pressing on, the scenery becomes really spectacular. I have to take
pictures, even though I know I'm behind schedule. I catch up to
another tourist on a hill. We talk a little while, but then I have to
make a pit stop. I never did see him again.

I am trying to get to Tillamook, but it's getting near dark so I stop
at a county park just short of Garibaldi. I set up the tent and then
ride into Garibaldi to eat at s pub. It's dark so I have to use the
lights, but it's only about a mile and a half away. Luckily, they have
wifi, so I can post this. Pictures will have to wait until the next
PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment