Friday, May 20, 2011

May 19, day 16 Gold Beach to Crescent City












May 19, day 16 Gold Beach to Crescent City

Starting odo 6863

I get up a little before 8, and leave the RV park about 10, taking
some stuff to the post office to mail home.

The day is starting with clear blue skies, and I might not be wearing
my jacket for the first time this trip! I kind of feel undressed
without it! Still, I'm going to wear it until I get hot.  That happens
on the first climb, and it is mostly off for the day - but near the
ocean it goes back on as the ocean wind is pretty chilly.

The first climb of the day is also the hardest at about 800 feet.
Coming down the other side I hit 44 mph.

The waitress was correct, the scenery is great, and my progress is
slowed by stopping at every other viewpoint for photos. I finally get
to brookings about 3, stop at mcd to check my email and order a
folding keyboard. The problem is where to send it!  About 3:30 I leave
to find Wild River Pizza, the last of the Oregon brewpubs I will hit.

I find it, and it's only about 1/2 mile off the route! I sit down with
a mini pizza and a pint of double eagle stout - and it's a good stout
too! Still, the place presents itself more as a pizza place than pub.
Four high school students are sitting at the table next to me.

I leave about 4:40 and backtrack to get onto the route. It takes a
while to get out of town and it's about 5 when I do.  I want to get to
Crescent City and it's about 27 miles on 101, and the route doesn't
stay on 101! This means that time is tight!  It's only a few miles
before I cross into California, and then the route will take a road
parallel to 101. As I start down the route, I can see it's going to
climb up into the hills a bit, so I elect to stay on 101, and
reconnect with the route about 10 miles down the road. I really apply
myself and except for about 3-4 miles of headwind I make very good
time. Now the route takes me along pebble beach and I have to take
pictures again.

Now it's about 7:50 and the best campsite is about 9 miles away, and I
really would like to eat before heading out of town. I decide that if
I'm going to eat I'll have to stay in town so I checkin to a nicely
preserved 50's motel. The motel has a story: it was built from one
redwood tree in the early 50's. There are pictures of the tree and
logs in the office, and the wood has been nicely refinished not too
long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment