Friday, June 10, 2011

June 5, day 33 Carmel to Limekiln State Park

June 5, day 33 Carmel to Limekiln State Park
Starting odo 7563

mailbox!

Big Sur Views



We leave pretty early and go by a tshirt store and buy some shirts.
Then we go to the post office but the problem is that they are closed
on saturdays and sundays.  A lady walking by starts talking to us, and
eventually offers to mail our packages for us.  I take her up on it
and give her $15 for the postage.  I don't think it was wise, but
somehow I just decided to trust her.  I have three tshirts, a pair of
tights, and some campy shift lever springs in the package. (and she did mail it!)
We leave and start off for Big Sur.  It takes about 2.5 hours to do
the 26 miles. When I get there, I see a little pub, so I decide to
have lunch and a beer.





At this point its about 4, and Shyam decides to camp for the night,
while I decide to ride about 30 miles farther to Limekiln State Park.
That starts with a pretty big climb, and then I'm not really too fast
on the rest, but gradually the road flattens out a bit and I reach
Lucia, where I eat at a little restaurant/store/motel.  After I eat, I
ask them what their rates are for a room. $200, but for you, only
$150, so I head for the state park.
But not before the lady tells me some important information. It turns
out that the slide which blocks the road ahead can be crossed by bikes
if you wait until the workmen leave for the day!  This is great
because the detour would involve an extra 150 miles, and we would miss
riding a lot of coastline, not to mention that it climbs about 2700
feet in the first 7 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment