Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 17, day 45 San Diego to Austin

June 17, day 45 San Diego to Austin

Lucky D's hostel, San Diego





I ride the bike with the bags over to the fedx store and have them
packed and shipped home. The take the bike to a nearby bike shop to
have it boxed, then carry the box over to the ceded store to have it
shipped, than a taxi to the airport.
The bike is only mildly mangled by the bike shop, bending the rear
rack to fit into the box, and losing some fender parts. I figure it
will take about six hours to get it properly back together, after I
order replacement fender parts from velo orange. I won't mention the
extra frame dents, scratches and possible damage to the lights. I am
going to have an extra bike box to ship to my endpoint next time.
Maybe someday I'll have the s&s couplers put into the frame.
After it's all shipped I wander around for a few minutes, then decide
I ought to head for the airport. Snagging a cab I get to the airport
and check in, but the flight leaves from the commuter terminal since
the first leg takes me to LA.
There is only 30 minutes in LA before the Austin flight is to leave,
and we leave late!
Arriving on LA, I quickly zip to the proper gate, and my flight isn't
even listed!
After a little while it turns out that United's computers are down,
and they are not letting flights take off. It turns out that it's not
just their computers in LA, it's nation-wide and their Internet site
too!
After about an hour, they let my flight go, I have no idea why, but I
arrive home only 1/2 hour late!

No comments:

Post a Comment